Friday, December 26, 2008

What Not to Wear



Okay, so I saw a jacket made up at my local Joanns and thought that it was cute. I bought this pattern



and it sat in my stash for quite some time. Hancock's Fabric had fleece on sale at $2.49/ yard, so I snagged a few yards for this coat.

So....
I make the coat. Didn't take long. I tried the coat on for DH and he laughs. He said that it looked like I was going to sing a choir!!. Then, when I added the belt, I looked like Mrs. Claus!! This is definitely a "What Not to Wear"! I have a few tweaks to make to it, like changing the pockets to reduce some of the bulk around my hips. As such, the only pic at this time will be on the hanger.....

Here's my review:

Fabric: Fleece

Pattern Description: Misses' jacket, coat,dress and pants. Unlined jacket and coat have high neck, drop shoulders, loose-fitting sleeves and optional snap closures.
Pattern Sizing:Multi-sized, 14-16-18-20, I made an 18.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes, it did because I made it out of red.
Were the instructions easy to follow?The instructions were easy to follow.What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I liked the look of all of the pieces. But, when I made the jacket, it didn't work for me. I think this was due to poor fabric selection. Fleece was one of the recommended fabrics as well as woolens. I think I should have used a light weight wool. I made it out of a red fleece, when I added the belt, I felt like Mrs. Claus!!
Fabric Used:Red fleece.Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:No alterations were done. I am going to go back on this one and change the pockets to a lining fabric to take away some the bulk around my hip area. Also instead of wearing it closed, I will be wearing it open.
Would you sew it again? Probably
Would you recommend it to others?It does have potential, just watch the fabric selection.
Conclusion: Overall, not a bad pattern, very easy to sew. I think I will give it another chance, just in a different fabric.
Happy sewing!!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Don't you hate it when you have a vision in your head about the outcome of a fabulous sewing project and then you try it on and reality comes crashing in? I have been there many a time! :)

It sure is a pretty colour, though!