Monday, January 12, 2009

Back to Basics

I stumbled upon this book sometime ago and got it as a gift.





I just recently "read" it and it has some nuggets of knowledge. One of Katherine Finney's tips is to have a closet w/ what she calls the Perfect 10. This list is as follows:


Black suit
White cotton dress shirt
Pair of plain black pumps
Perfect pair of jeans
Little black dress
T-shirts (preferably w/ some stretch)
Leather tote
Pair of sneakers
Trench coat
Khaki/chino pants


Now from the Perfect 10, there are should be at least 32 different combinations. I strayed away from my list and now I need to get back to it. I am tired of saying I have nothing to wear. Right now, the only item missing from my list is the LBD. I have a few patterns in my stash, I just can't decide which one to make.
So, I tried her theory and what do know, it works! Now, I have some other pieces in my closet besides this, so that really does help. Otherwise, it's not the most exciting. My t-shirts are in other colors besides black, white and blue (but I do have those!!) and they are great for layering. I have a few scarves that I use as well. Where I work is casual wear, but I try to keep it from getting " too" casual.
Some combos I have tried:
jeans+ t+shirt
trench coat(short version)+white dress shirt+khakis
white dress shirt + jeans
any color t-shirt + khakis
Now w/ all of these combos, I play around w/ accessories, shoes, etc.
I am still trying to find my way in this game of style and I know that to each, his own. I once read on www.monicamingo.com, that if you only buy clothes that look good on you, then you only have clothes in your closet that look good (I hope I got that right...) and fit well, also.
Now more then ever, the concept of shopping from you closet has become all the rage. I leave you with this:



No comments: